Monday 3 March 2014

Moving Out, Moving On...

It’s been a pretty hectic weekend. I have finally moved out of the Coventry Foyer, which is the supported housing I have been staying in for the last nine months.

It was a fantastic day for me, not only because it’s the beginning of a new chapter in my life, but also because I have now already fulfilled two of my goals for 2014!

I am extremely goal orientated. Whenever I set myself an objective, I expect myself, and put pressure on myself, to achieve it. So to already have successfully completed two them (the first being to find a job) in the first quarter of the year, makes me very excited at the prospect of what is achievable in this 12 months.

I’m actually in trouble with the Foyer for posting a tweet a few weeks ago. I expressed my opinion about the Midland Heart takeover and they weren't impressed. The tweet (seen here) was nothing defamatory, abusive or unprofessional, yet I've been called in to apparently explain myself.

I'm tempted to go into a rant here. But I will restrain myself, for your benefit. Suffice it to say that moving out of there is a very positive move for me.

In any case, since this post is about moving on, it’s probably about time I do so!

Today marks a month since I started here at West Midlands Fire Service. I'm extremely happy with the way it’s going; it has surpassed even my expectations.

The best thing about working here is the working environment. In my previous work experience at a housing association, which I have mentioned briefly in previous posts, the atmosphere in the office was negative and tense, meaning every day felt like a month (helped by having nothing to do every day of course).

But here – we have a laugh at every opportunity, and we talk as well as work. This offers the chance to be ourselves, rather than just employees. I only recently discovered this more confident and outgoing version of me, and I welcome being able to flex that whenever I can. It’s fun to be at work, which, in my opinion, is as important as the job satisfaction itself.

Yesterday marked a new and exciting chapter in my life. As mentioned in the previous post, I have been through some trials and tribulations over the past year, and to be able to officially say I am back on my feet fills me with a fierce pride usually reserved for Oscar-winners and Olympic gold medallists. Slight exaggeration but you get the idea.


I am lucky enough to get to start again. This apprenticeship with West Midlands Fire Service is a springboard for me and I intend to jump onto it as hard as I possibly can – and who knows? Maybe pull off a couple of fancy looking twists and flips on the way into the pool that is my career.

No comments:

Post a Comment